Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

Too Hard, Too Soft, Just Right

No, I'm not retelling "The Three Bears," although my firsties love the song that I taught them about the beloved story. (Thanks to my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Hines, for teaching us that song way back in the dark ages. I still remember it!) I am actually referring to leveling my classroom library. This daunting task has hung over me for years. Do I level it by subject? By reading level? I prefer by reading level, but I have never found a solid way to accomplish this task, so it gets pushed aside in favor of the million other tasks I can finish.

The other day I was reading some Facebook posts and someone mentioned an app called "Level It" which gives the reading level for many, many titles. I'm not one to jump on the app bandwagon easily. I checked out this app, and found that it has many uses. It will give the level for many books, including the GLE, Lexile level, and DRA level. They can be found manually by typing in the ISBN number, author or title, or I can simply scan the ISBN code. Eureka! I can also build my library on the app and search popular titles by grade level. Wow!!! That makes me happy! It does cost a small fee, but I am willing to pay it for something like this. I'm thinking if I take a few tubs a week, it should be accomplished easily. This app can help me find new, appropriate titles for my below-, on- and above-level readers. Suh-weet!!!! Have an amazing week! (Here's a screenshot of one of the screens from the app. Happy leveling!)




0 comments:

Post a Comment